Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Quick tips on surviving Valentine's after a breakup

If you're like me, you're dreading Valentine's Day because it really intensifies feelings of what could have been, who's he with now, wondering where he's planning on taking her, whether he's thinking of me and a myriad other thoughts. Especially since I don't anticipate having a date because I've turned down everyone who's asked coz I don't feel up to it and no one seems good enough to compensate for my ex.

I found some quick tips to get through the day and added a few of my own:

1. Do not think about if he's with someone else. You don’t know for sure, so there's no point to daydreaming about it. It's pure self-torture so why bother doing this to yourself. Bottom line is - it’s just plain self-defeating and a total waste of time. If you start having those thoughts FORCE yourself to think of something else. Distract yourself.

2. Remember it's just a holiday that was created for monetary reasons (consumerism). These card and chocolate companies, stationary, department and jewelry stores make a killing on Valentines Day.

Who is this Valentine dude anyway?

3. If it's going to upset you then don’t go to any Valentine's Day functions. Just ignore the entire day and night.

Be in a state of denial.

Do something fun that has nothing to do with romance on that day. Get a massage; go buy a new outfit without looking at the price, then binge on your favorite junk food and work it off at the gym; go to a movie you would never dare go to because it's below your intelligence (wear shades though); on your way home buy the Metro, True Love, Hello and Drum (or whatever your fave read is) and read about all the celebrity break ups and divorces over a warm mug of Drinking Chocolate. You'll feel like a million dollars afterwards. By the time you do all of this Valentines day will be over.

4. If you do accept a date, do not, I repeat, do not start comparing other men to your ex or the guy you're trying to get over. This is like poison to the brain. Just be in the here and now, and right here and right now your ex is not around so don't give him the satisfaction of thinking about him. That whole thinking about your ex while you're with a new man is so self defeating and devaluing to the new man you're with. As that great singer said, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!!"

5. Work extra-long, hard hours on the eve of Valentine's... you'll be too obsessed with sleep the following day to notice the passage of time and only too relieved to plonk yourself in bed at the end of the day without a single thought of missing out on the evening's potentially missed niceties.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S.............

1 comment:

Zoana Fisher said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Zoana Fisher